Gaming activity is provided to mean game played with cards, dice, equipment or any mechanical electromechanical or electronic device or machine for money, property, checks, credit or credit card or any representative of value, including but without limiting the generality of the foregoing, bingo, wheel of fortune, baccarat, slot machine, horse race, lottery, wager or stake, any banking or percentage game or any other game or device approved by the Board, but does not include games played with cards in private homes or residences in which no person makes money for operating the game, except as a player, or games operated by charitable or educational organizations approved by the Board
LAWS WHICH REGULATE GAMING INDUSTRY IN TANZANIA
The gaming industry in Tanzania is regulated by various acts, rules, standards, and policy, which includes Financing Act 2018(Amendment of The Gaming Act), The Gaming Act, Cap 41 and Regulations, Gaming Regulations GN no 385, Gaming Regulations GN No. 278(Forty Machines site Regulations), Review of Applications and Fee (GN No 401), Sports Betting Rules 2016. apart from that Acts and Regulations there is a standard which regulate Gaming industry in Tanzania, Standard- Gaming Devices for Routes ,2018 and Standard- Central Electronic Monitoring system for Route operations,2018.
REGULATORY AND LICENSING AUTHORITY
The Gaming Board of Tanzania (GBT) as established under Gaming Act, it’s the one responsible for overseeing, monitoring, and regulating the conduct of gaming activities in Tanzania.
TPYES OF LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY THE GAMING BOARD OF TANZANIA (GBT)
- Casino license for conducting table games and slot machines
- Slot machines or route operation for promotion of slot machines business in a shop
- Manufacturer’s certificate for manufacturing of gaming equipment including its spare part
- Seller’s or distributor’s license for supplying, selling or servicing gaming equipment
- Key gaming employee for a person in charge of any gaming activity at all times when the game is conducted
- Accreditation license for a person engaged in non gaming activity within gaming premises
- Support license, required for a person employed in the gaming activities or a gaming employee
- A retail gaming license which is required by a retailer on a premise on which he maintains sole and exclusive legal possession of the entire premise for which he is issued
- Internet casino license for conducting casino games through remote devices with internet connection
- SMS lottery license for conducting SMS lotteries for commercial purposes
- Principal license for sports betting and slot machines operations
- Internet sports betting license
- Sports betting terminal license
- Certificate of suitability for license of gaming activities
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ISSUANCE OF LICENSE AND CERTIFICATES
Gaming license and certificate shall not be issued unless one;
- Has never been denied a gaming license by the GBT or any other jurisdiction;
- Has never had a gaming license suspended or revoked here in Tanzania or another jurisdiction
- Has never withdrawn an application for any gaming license anywhere for whatever reasons;
- Possesses a gaming premises that are deemed suitable by GBT; (It is recommended that applicants should first identify the premises and seek clarification from GBT as some of the premises may not be suitable for gaming purposes.
- Has not been convicted of any criminal offence involving fraud or dishonesty; and
- Has proof of adequate financing available to pay all obligations and to provide for adequate working capital to finance the gaming operations
NB: Applicants will be subjected to background investigations and vetting processes including sources of funds to be used in the business. Applicants are required to provide the necessary cooperation to enable GBT to examine the application appropriately.
NECESSARY DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY THE GAMING BOARD OF TANZANIA FOR PROCESSING OF THE APPLICATION
- Certificate of suitability for license of gaming activities
- Clear statement of project objectives
- Applicants’ profile;
- Details of investment costs and how the proposed investment will be financed; name the specific sources of funds and their contacts; terms and conditions of the loans if applicable
- Sources of technology if applicable and gaming equipment
- Projected financial and economic analysis; the financial analysis including projected Annual Balance Sheets and Income Statements for the first four years
- Market study
- Expected employment generation
- Dully filled application forms and application fee paid.
- Dully filled Personal Declaration Form for each director.
- A copy of the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association, in case no company has been formed, submit a copy of proposed Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association
- A certified copy of the Certificate of company incorporation
- Evidence of sufficient finance capital available for the implementation of the project
- Proof of citizenship of every incorporator/subscriber, and every director and senior officer. This includes detailed Curricula Vitae, photocopy of the first five pages of a passport, a passport size photograph and historical background.
- Audited Balance Sheets and Income Statement of every incorporator/subscriber and every director and senior officer
- Tax Clearance from the Income Tax office of a country of origin of the applicant and every director and senior officer
- Statement from two persons (not relatives) vouching for the good moral character and financial responsibility of the incorporators/subscribers and the proposed directors and senior officers
- Company Board of Directors’ resolution to invest in Tanzania
MINIMUM INVESTMENT CAPITAL TO SECURE GAMING LICENSE
- Minimum Investment Capital for a Local Company shall be USD 300,000.00. For
purposes of this requirement, Local Company means a company incorporated in
Tanzania and whose majority shareholder(s) are/ is a citizen(s) of Tanzania.
- Minimum Investment Capital for a Foreign Company shall be USD 500,000.00. For purposes of this requirement, Foreign Company means a company incorporated outside Tanzania or a company incorporated in Tanzania but whose majority shareholder(s) is/are not citizens of Tanzania.
TESTING AND CERTIFICATION OF SYSTEMS
Applicants are required to test and obtain certification for their devices, management systems and game software that they will deploy in their gaming activities. These devices, systems and games should be tested against applicable standards. The following Testing Laboratories are hereby designated and shall be recognised as approved gaming testing laboratories:
- Gaming Laboratories International (GLI)
- Any other lab that is of the same calibre and stature, however, shall require prior approval from GBT
However, it should be noted that there may be relatives changes in respect of conditions to be fulfilled and documents required for processing applications depending on a specific license that a person is applying for.
At Eden Law Chambers, we assist Clients to secure gaming license and certificate by making sure that all the required procedures are adhered, preparing required documents and submitting the applications to the relevant authorities. You may contact us through our below email Address;
This article cannot and does not contain legal advice. The legal information is provided for general information and education purposes only, and is not a substitute for legal advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon the provided information, we encourage you to consult Eden Law chambers or any licensed attorney for further legal advice.